Who We Are
The life and ministry of the congregation is far broader and deeper than one page on a website, but we hope this may be a window into who we are as a community of faith.
In response to God’s unconditional love for all people, made known to us in Jesus Christ, Westminster Presbyterian Church is called to embody that same love in our life and ministry.
As a community of faith, we affirm the image of God in people of every racial identity, ethnicity, socio-economic status, age, gender, relationship status, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression. We welcome all who desire to participate in our congregation, for everyone brings gifts and experiences that strengthen and enrich the life of the church. We commit ourselves to making inclusivity a reality for this congregation and our local community, by continuing to learn and grow in friendship with one another.
We especially proclaim this statement of welcome to those who have been excluded and/or told that they do not fully reflect the image of God. If you are looking for a place to share in God's great love and affirm that all people are God’s children, we invite you to join us in our faith journey toward greater love, respect and understanding of one another.
- Westminster is a welcoming and affirming congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), the largest Presbyterian/Reformed denomination in the US. We are among the top 1% of PCUSA congregations in terms of membership size and worship attendance.
- Our mission statement is: Knowing Christ; Making Christ Known.
- Our Vision: As followers of Jesus Christ, we commit to:
- Worship that glorifies God and transforms us,
- Intentional, hope-filled community,
- A lifetime of spiritual growth and joyful generosity,
As we are sent to demonstrate the Kingdom of God in the world.
- Within the Presbyterian Church (USA), we are a:
- Matthew 25 Church, committed to:
- Building congregational vitality
- Dismantling structural racism
- Eradicating systemic poverty
- Matthew 25 Church, committed to:
- PCUSA Earth Care congregation – working to be good stewards of the earth in worship, education, outreach, and use of our facility.
- Commitment to Peacemaking Congregation – working to shape faithful and creative ministries of peace and justice.
- A teaching congregation in the field education program of Princeton Theological Seminary, helping train future pastors.
- Outside our denomination, we share many partnerships. Some of them are:
- Covenant Church with Bread for the World, including advocacy related to issues of hunger.
- Partner church with Living Waters for the World, installing water filtration systems in Honduras.
- Partner church with World Vision in Global 6K for Water and “Chosen.”
- Partner church with Serving at the Crossroads, a medical clinic in Honduras.
- Annual site for Rise Against Hunger meal packaging.
- Host site for the Global Leadership Summit – an international, two-day live-streamed leadership conference.
- Regular Red Cross blood donation site.
- We are significantly involved in a host of community outreach ministries, including a Thrift Shop in the borough of West Chester and a vibrant preschool on our campus. Click here to find out more about our community involvement.
- We have four God Size Dreams as part of our 2018 vision process with Rev. Dr. Bill Wilson, a certified coach and facilitator from the Center for Healthy Churches.
- Expand our Witness: we intentionally invite all people to a faith journey with Jesus Christ.
- Serve our Neighbors: we lead in responding to community needs through volunteering, social engagement, and outreach.
- Work Toward Affordable Housing: we take a leadership role within the community to ensure that no one is forced to live in substandard, unsafe housing or experiences homelessness.
- Equip our Emerging Generation: we actively engage youth (16-18) and young adults (19-30) on their faith journey.
Feel free to contact the church office or any of the pastors if you would like to know more about Westminster.