Westminster Presbyterian Church - Online Devotional Ideas for Adults
Daily devotions? A new resolution to study and grow? Whether you have practiced a daily quiet time or devotional for years, or are considering trying to start this spiritual practice, one of the easiest ways to do it is to have a devotional delivered to your email inbox each day – or to sit quietly and open a devotional application on your smart phone. We have selected several options for you to try, including some that walk you through reading the entire Bible!*. If you don’t like one, move on to another. If you find others that are meaningful to you, please let us know! Suggestions for online devotionals and published resources for children, youth and families will be available through their dedicated pages on the church website.
*These resources are produced by other organizations which are solely responsible for their content.
Pray As You Go is a daily prayer session, designed to go with you wherever you go. A new prayer session is produced every day of the working week and one session for the weekend. It is not a 'Thought for the Day', a sermon or a bible-study, but rather a framework for your own prayer. Lasting between ten and thirteen minutes, it combines music, scripture and some questions for reflection to help you to become more aware of God's presence in your life, listen to and reflect on God's word and grow in your relationship with God. The style of prayer is based on Ignatian Spirituality. It is produced by Jesuit Media Initiatives, with material written by a number of Jesuits, both in Britain and further afield, and other experts in the spirituality of St Ignatius of Loyola. The content is different every day, keeping to the same basic format. Click here to signup.
Stillspeaking Daily Devotions from the UCC. Through this link, access current daily devotions or archives to feed your spirit. You can have devotionals delivered to your email.
- D365 walks you through a short quiet time, meditation, and prayer. It can be downloaded to an iPhone on the Apple App Store. If you prefer to use an android, laptop, or other computer, go to this link and you can sign up for daily reminders to open the devotional. You have the option for silence, or to accompany your thoughts with gentle music. The app walks you through a short “pause, listen, think, pray, go” lesson. This may also appeal to youth.
- Our Daily Bread includes a short thought-provoking essay and a reading from the bible. You can read it yourself or listen to the soundtrack by clicking on the arrow on the screen when you go to their site.
Henry Nouwen Society. Drawn from a wide range of Henri Nouwen’s writing, these short daily meditations will inspire and guide your mind and heart. Simply indicate in the sign-up form below that you wish to receive the daily meditation and they will be pleased to send a free daily mediation to the e-mail address of your choice. Each reflection takes less than a minute to read and it will set the tone for your day, feed your spirit and nourish your soul! Click here to signup.
- Daily Meditations: Rebuilding Christianity “From the Bottom Up”
Drawing from his own Franciscan heritage and other wisdom traditions, Richard Rohr reframes neglected or misunderstood teachings to reveal the foundations of contemplative Christianity and the universe itself: God as loving relationship. Each week of meditations builds on previous topics, but you can join at any time. Click here to subscribe to the devotional.
- PC(USA) Daily Lectionary. Our denomination, Presbyterian Church (USA) makes the various readings of the lectionary available online daily. Click here to read all the selected texts for the day.
- Reading the Bible in one year… Consider committing your quiet time to reading through the whole Bible in one year. A variety of plans to accompany you are available, including the following: