Daily devotions? A new resolution to study and grow? Whether you have practiced a daily quiet time or devotional for years, or are considering trying to start this spiritual practice, one of the easiest ways to do it is to have a devotional delivered to your email inbox each day – or to sit quietly and open a devotional application on your smart phone. We have selected several options for you to try, including some that walk you through reading the entire Bible!*. If you don’t like one, move on to another. If you find others that are meaningful to you, please let us know! Suggestions for online devotionals and published resources for children, youth and families will be available through their dedicated pages on the church website.
*These resources are produced by other organizations which are solely responsible for their content.
- D365 walks you through a short quiet time, meditation, and prayer. It can be downloaded to an iPhone on the Apple App Store. The app walks you through a short “pause, listen, think, pray, go” lesson. If you prefer to use an android, laptop, or desktop computer, click here and you will have the opportunity to signup for daily reminders to open the devotional. You have the option for silence, or to accompany your thoughts with gentle music.
- Our Daily Bread includes a short thought-provoking essay and a reading from the bible. You can read it yourself or listen to the soundtrack by clicking on the arrow on the screen when you go to their site.
- Daily Meditations: Rebuilding Christianity “From the Bottom Up”
Drawing from his own Franciscan heritage and other wisdom traditions, Richard Rohr reframes neglected or misunderstood teachings to reveal the foundations of contemplative Christianity and the universe itself: God as loving relationship. Each week of meditations builds on previous topics, but you can join at any time. Watch an introduction to the theme (8-minute video) here.
- PC(USA) Daily Lectionary. Our denomination, Presbyterian Church (USA) makes the various readings of the lectionary available online daily. Click here to read all the selected texts for the day.
- Reading the Bible in one year… Consider committing your quiet time to reading through the whole Bible in one year. A variety of plans to accompany you are available, including the following: